Monday 26 April 2010

Trang pink dolphin expedition - Survey Day 5


Hi, my name is Hayley. I’m arriving a little late, to say the least, after some small trouble in the UK involving the Icelandic volcano eruption - you may have heard about it! I was supposed to leave Friday 16th from Heathrow Airport but I was cancelled twice, at this point I had given up. I very randomly on the off chance contacted my airline on the Wednesday as the flights were going again and got a call back that afternoon telling me that I was on a flight the next morning!

My trip to Thailand was therefore surreal, as within 12 hours of the phone call I was on my way to the airport, the journey went very well with no more problems and I was at the Resort with the rest of the group by Friday evening. I was given a very warm welcome from everyone here and was amazed to find myself sleeping in Thailand and getting ready for the following day for my first pink dolphin survey trip.

On my first day out, I was amazed at how many Pink dolphins we managed to find! We saw two groups, one of 6 and later one of 16, and this was apparently the best day the team had had to date, so I felt so grateful to be here and on such a wonderful flat sea.

I just wanted to say thank you to Beverley for helping me during the manic trip out, and also to say to Lindsey and Kat that I’m really sorry you can’t be here and that we are all thinking of you. I look forward to getting out again and seeing what else our surveys will bring…

No comments: